Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E)
by U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
– Must meet one of the following criteria: Be a Veteran with a combined service-connected disability (SCD) rating of at least 20 percent or higher and meets the criteria for an employment handicap OR Be a Veteran with a combined SCD rating of 10 percent and meets the criteria for a serious employment handicap OR Be a Servicemember who is awaiting discharge due to a medical condition resulting from a serious injury or illness from active duty OR Be a Servicemember who is awaiting discharge, has obtained a VA memorandum rating of 20 percent or more, and expects to receive an honorable discharge upon separation from active duty.
– A Veteran’s character of discharge must be other than dishonorable discharge or release. Other than dishonorable discharge include general discharge, honorable discharge, and under honorable conditions.
Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) is an employment-oriented program that helps transitioning Servicemembers and Veterans with service-connected disabilities and an employment handicap to prepare for, obtain and maintain suitable employment.
This program provides:
– Comprehensive evaluation to determine abilities, skills, and interests for employment
– Vocational counseling and rehabilitation planning for employment services
– Employment services such as job-training, job-seeking skills, resume development, and other work readiness assistance
– Assistance finding and keeping a job, including the use of special employer incentives and job accommodations
– On the Job Training (OJT), apprenticeships, and non-paid work experiences
– Post-secondary training at a college, vocational, technical or business school
– Supportive rehabilitation services including case management, counseling, and medical referrals
For Service members and Veterans with compensable service-connected disabilities so severe that they may not be able to work, the program offers services to improve their ability to live independently to the maximum extent possible in their homes and community. The support these Veterans are provided may eventually enable them to return to work.
Eligible Veterans and Service members may apply for Veteran Readiness and Employment benefits online through the eBenefits website. You may also submit a completed application (VAF 28-1900) at the local VA Regional or outbased office, or mail the completed application to the closest Regional Office. If it is determined that you are eligible, you will be invited to attend an orientation session, in-person, at the nearest VA Regional Office.
701 Clay Avenue Waco, TX 76799